Tuesday, March 15, 2016

8 Ways to Style a Scarf


For my first blogpost on fashion, I decided I wanted to post about the different ways you can wear a scarf. Scarves are probably some of my favorite accessories, and they can make a good outfit become a great outfit. The only thing that I sometimes struggle with, is the different ways to style a scarf. Sometimes just looping it around your neck isn't good enough! And sometimes it's hard to come up with new ways on our own that don't end with us frustrated and just leaving the scarf behind because it's just too much time and effort to put into an accessory. Here are my eight ways to wear a scarf with little to no frustration whatsoever. So for the pictures, I am using my LuluLemon snap scarf. I like it because it's very versatile and can be worn like an infinity scarf, or can be unsnapped and worn like a regular scarf, shirt or even a cardigan.

1. Loop
For the simple "loop" style, all I did was take my LuluLemon scarf (buttoned) and put it around my neck. This gives you a long infinity scarf, relaxed look. This would look good with a denim button-up shirt or even a plain white t-shirt or long sleeve. Plus, if you have a scarf that has more of a pattern or a print to it, that can look extra awesome against a white shirt or denim button up. If you don't have an infinity scarf, simply take a normal scarf you have and tie the ends together. And there you have it! The simple loop scarf style.





2. The Double Loop
The double loop way of styling the scarf is pretty much just as easy as the loop style All you have to do is take your long infinity scarf and instead of just draping it around your neck like we did above, we will wrap it around our neck twice, so we have an extra big and snuggly scarf. I enjoy wearing my scarf this way on particularly cold and blustery days, so I can burrow down into it. It's super cute, really easy and it keeps you very warm. This style could really look good with anything, but when I usually wear it, I either wear it over a flannel or I put the scarf on and then I put my jacket over it to give me a cozier look.




3. Over the Shoulder
This next look is so easy to accomplish it's like eating cake (except you aren't stuck with all the calories afterwards...). All you have to do is take your favorite scarf (an infinity scarf won't work for this so make sure you get just a normal scarf) and throw one end over your shoulder and voila! You are ready to run out the door. This scarf style can look really cute with jackets or coats. I like to wear my scarf this way when I wear my favorite Helly Hanson raincoat and just need that extra little something to finish off my outfit. Or, it can look super cute with a button up and a tank top/t-shirt like I did for the picture.





4. Over BOTH Shoulders
Okay friends, for this scarf style we are getting really crazy and wild (insert sarcasm). Just take one of your favorite scarves, and like above, throw one end over your shoulder, and then (here's where it gets tricky) throw the other end over your shoulder! We all see those pictures of models going about their day and shopping and they always seem to pull off the scarf look where both ends of the scarf are thrown over their shoulders. I like this look a lot because it seems so effortless and careless, but somehow it looks really beautiful and extravagant.





5. Over and Around
I think one of the most basic and easy ways to wear your scarf, is to take your favorite scarf, throw  both ends over your shoulders, and then grab opposite ends and pull it back around to the front, creating a sort of bandanna-type look. I see scarves worn like this all the time, and I have yet to see it look bad on someone. You can do this with a normal scarf, or you can find a scarf that is already in that triangle shape and use that instead. I find that the triangle scarf looks a little more professional, whereas just a normal scarf comes off as fun and carefree and casual.

 
6. Lazy Girl Style
I wear my LuluLemon scarf pretty much every time I travel because 1.) it's huge and 2.) it's really cozy and warm, so I don't get cold on the plane. My favorite way to wear my scarf while traveling is the lazy, airport girl style. If you don't have a LuluLemon scarf, then you'll need a bit longer and wider of a scarf for this style. All you do is wrap your scarf around your shoulders (like a blanket) and then tuck the left side up into your right shoulder between your scarf and your back, and then wrap the right side of your scarf up and tuck it into your left shoulder between your scarf and your back. It sounds a little harder than it is, and I will be posting a video below that might help you more. This is so simple and it looks great, especially when traveling.








7. The Twist
The twist style is basically just a twist (see what I did there) on the over and around style. All you do is take your scarf, twist it, and then loop it around your neck like you normally would. This is a particularly easy way to style your scarf and it just adds that extra pizzazz. I like to wear it with a pair of jeans and a flannel, just because it looks so casual and cozy. But this scarf style looks good with anything!


9. The Hoodie
Last but certainly not least is to wear your scarf like a hoodie. This is my personal favorite way to wear my scarves, especially if it's a really rainy, cold or windy day, which is pretty much all the time in the Pacific Northwest. All you have to do to achieve this look is take one of your longer infinity scarves, wrap it around your neck twice, and then just reach back and tug one of your scarf layers up and over, just like you would a hood. It's really simple but it does help protect you from the rain if you forget to grab a jacket with a hood on it.



Wearing scarves can be so fun and I hope that this gives you some great ideas on how to style your own scarves. If you want to purchase a scarf like mine visit: http://shop.lululemon.com/products/clothes-accessories/women-headbands-and-hats/Vinyasa-Scarf-II?cc=23209&skuId=3658830&catId=women-headbands-and-hats

If you want any tips on how to style your LuluLemon scarf (or frankly, any scarf), then please check out this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8ZtcLrpL0

No comments:

Post a Comment