Monday, March 28, 2016

Why I Love Gravity Falls and Why You Should Too


For some weird reason unknown to man, as a twenty year old woman, I am somehow addicted to children's cartoons. Yes, I understand, it is weird, and I'm too old for that, right? Shouldn't I be watching Reign or Vampire Diaries or Grey's Anatomy or something? Probably, but I just can't. For some reason, I just love the goofiness and simplicity of children's cartoons. That, and I find the characters in cartoons, just a bit easier to love than the characters in young adult TV shows. One of my most favorite children's cartoon, is "Gravity Falls".

"Gravity Falls" follows the Pines twins, Dipper and Mabel, and their adventures while they stay in Gravity Falls over the summer with their Grunkle (great uncle) Stan. While they stay with their Grunkle Stan at his business (he owns the tourist trap known as the Mystery Shack), the twins quickly learn that Gravity Falls is not a normal town, and there are some rather strange creatures that dwell there. Dipper is the logical one, whereas Mabel is happy to make radio shows and wear funky sweaters. There are also a handful of other great characters in the show as well, like Soos (the handyman/employee that works at the Mystery Shack), Wendy (the hot, older lumbersexual girl that also works at the Mystery Shack), Waddles (Mabel's pet pig), Gideon (the arch-nemesis of Grunkle Stan), and Mabel's two best friends Candy and Grenda.

Now that I've given you the lowdown on "Gravity Falls", it's time for me to convince you to watch it so you too, can experience it's awesomeness. So here are my reasons on why I love "Gravity Falls" and why you should too.

1. It's set in the Pacific Northwest
Okay, so the first reason I love "Gravity Falls" so much, is because it takes place in the Pacific Northwest. So if you live in the PNW like me, then you'll appreciate "Gravity Falls" and the nature the artists depicted in the show.


2. It's overtly hilarious
I know I know...can a kid's cartoon actually be funny to an adult? The answer: yes, yes it can. "Gravity Falls" is absolutely hilarious and brutally honest sometimes. One of my favorite lines from "Gravity Falls" is when Grunkle Stan says, "Hit him over the head, it's nature's snooze button." Most kids probably wouldn't find that funny, but as adults, clearly we do.


3. Grunkle Stan is our spirit animal
Grunkle Stan is the classic grumpy old man who likes to hustle tourists out of their money. He would much rather be sleeping in his arm chair or walking around in his underwear. This is why, Grunkle Stan is basically our spirit animal. How often do we just want to lie around on our couches and watch Netflix? Or not wear a bra? Or not wear clothes in the comfort of our own home? All the time people, all the time we want that. Plus, Grunkle Stan has some of the best one liners we have all secretly thought but have had too much restraint to say, like, "When there's no cops around, anything's legal!" or, "Kids! I can't find the remote and I refuse to stand up!" or, "Yeah, nothing like sitting in a moist tub with strangers. It's like the bus, but wet." Seriously, watch the show and you'll see what I mean.

4. There are weird creatures everywhere
Each episode usually deals with some sort of weird creature and being that Dipper and Mabel have to learn about and destroy. It's kind of like Supernatural, but kid-friendly. They deal with classic creatures like Gnomes and Zombies, but then deal with bizarre creatures like Manotaurs (minotaurs that are manly) and the Hand Witch. This gives the show a funny and creative twist.

5. The relationship between Dipper and Mabel
I don't have a twin brother, but I do have a younger brother that looks almost exactly like me, except, ya know, manly. I love getting to see the relationship between Dipper and Mabel, because it reminds me a lot of my relationship with my younger brother. Throughout the show, Dipper is always trying to watch out for Mabel and protect her, and Mabel is always trying to stay positive and encourage Dipper. I love that they still fight like normal siblings, but they love each other fiercely.

6.  Dipper's personality
In a lot of ways, I think we can relate to Dipper. He's constantly asking questions and seeking answers and trying to discover new things. Sometimes he can be a little too controlling, and become obsessed with finding answers, like I think we can too. But Dipper holds the group together and is always stepping up to the plate to lead them.

7. Mabel's personality
Even if we don't always act like it on the outside, on the inside, we are all like Mabel. We are all a little weird, obsessed over certain things, love funky sweaters, a little boy-crazy, like to make jokes, and love our pets. Mabel may sometimes appear naive, but she's easily the sweetest character on the entire show. She loves life and her friends, but on the inside she is secretly insecure about her future, just like we often are.

8. Wendy's honesty
Wendy appears as the cool, laid back older chick that Dipper has a crush on. She always seems easy going and like she just goes with the flow. But in one of the "Gravity Falls" episodes, she reveals that she isn't nearly as laid back as she seems, and on the inside, she's really very stressed out like, all. The. Time. Feel like you relate? Yeah, me too.

9. I secretly wished I lived in Gravity Falls
After watching the two seasons of "Gravity Falls", I have come to the realization that I wish I lived there with Dipper and Mabel and Grunkle Stan. I wish I had their friends and their gumption, and I wish I lived in a world where fighting supernatural and fantastical creatures was just a part of every day life. Granted, I do live in the PNW, so I'm getting there, right?

10. They all love each other
One of the biggest reasons why I love "Gravity Falls", is because of the love the characters share among themselves. Nowadays, a lot of the TV shows we watch, the characters are quick to leave one another and not stick around. Thankfully, the characters in "Gravity Falls" are committed to each other and the friendships they have created over the summer. Grunkle Stan loves Dipper and Mabel as if they were his own children, Dipper and Mabel learn to love each other more, and they learn to love Wendy and Soos and Candy and Grenda. They learn to love unexpected visitors and how to overcome new obstacles. That, is why I love "Gravity Falls".

These are my top ten reasons why I love "Gravity Falls". I hope after reading this that you will spend some of your time watching the show. It really is awesome. Watch it on TV, and if you can't do that, then just look up "Gravity Falls Full Episodes" and you should be able to find something. Stay weird, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment